- This event has passed.
Manitou Incline Early Bird Workout – Member’s Only
June 6 @ 6:00 am - 7:00 pm
Overview: Join Coach Amy for a group workout at the Manitou Incline! It gets super hot in the Springs in the summer, so the earlier we start the better. The Manitou incline can take anywhere from 30 min (advanced) to 1 hr 15 min (beginner) – we will all start as a group together, but please stay at a pace that is comfortable to you and where you are that day.
- **We will start at 6:15 at the trailhead, so we recommend you leave Denver no later than 4:30 am.**
- **Starting this year, the Incline requires reservations, which we have secured for you!**
About the Hike: The crown jewel of outdoor recreation in Manitou Springs and referred to by the locals as simply ‘the Incline’, this popular but strenuous hike is not for the faint of heart. It climbs over 2,000 vertical feet in less than a mile and sections as steep as 68% grade. Don’t forget to watch your step; they range in size and height to keep you on–or knock you off–your toes. At the summit, the Incline Trail connects to Barr Trail, which offers a steep but scenic 3-mile path back down to the base. Downhill use of the Incline is strongly discouraged (can you imagine tripping down 2,744 steps?).
The Bailout: A false summit ⅔ of the way to the top is the closest some come to tackling the incline. Here, the Incline Trail meets up with Barr Trail for the first time and offers exhausted hikers a reprieve. If you think you need to bail, we won’t tell anyone. But if you can muster enough energy, you’re almost to the top!
- Can I Bring a Non-Member Friend? No. We only have space for 11, so in order to make it fair you must be a member to attend.
- What Should I Wear? Make sure to wear good tennis shoes or other athletic shoes, bring a water bottle, snack, sunscreen and a jacket that you can take off. When we start the hike it’ll be fairly cold, but you’ll warm up quickly as you start to climb.
- Can I Bring My Dog? No (not allowed by the trail).
- How Do I Get There? Drive yourself or carpool!
- What’s Parking Like? Plan to arrive in time to find parking and allow plenty of time to get to the base on the Incline. Parking is available at:
- Hiawatha Gardens Parking Lot (10 Old Man’s Trail) – Parking costs $1/hour – Make sure to get a parking pass from the meter, take a picture (to act as proof of parking) and leave the ticket on your dash. Enter your phone number when making your reservation to receive alerts when your parking is about to expire and extend if needed. The free shuttle runs from Hiawatha Gardens to the Incline starting at 6 a.m., every 10 minutes. Capacity is currently restricted to 75% (22 passengers) per trip so you may need to wait during busy periods. If you do not wish to wait why not walk to the Incline and add to your hike! A map from parking to the Incline can be found here.
- Iron Springs Chateau Parking (444 Ruxton Ave) – Fee-based parking – Make sure to get a parking pass from the attendant. Reservations required.